LXE Introduces ThorTM Vehicle-Mount Computer
LXE, part of EMS Technologies’ (NASDAQ: ELMG) Global Resource Management business unit, announced the launch of the Thor vehicle-mount computer, targeting multiple logistics applications. The Thor computer houses an industry-leading Intel® AtomTM processor that features a dual operating system of either Windows® Embedded Standard or Windows® Compact Embedded and is the newest vehicle-mount computer to use the half-screen, full keypad form factor that LXE pioneered over three decades ago.
“The Thor vehicle-mount computer is capable of providing unprecedented gains in ROI,” said Dino Koutrouki, Vice President and General Manager, EMS Global Resource Management. “Technology delivers ROI when it allows resources — both human and capital — to be invested in profit-generating areas, instead of in the maintenance or usage of the technology itself. The Thor is purpose-built for businesses to achieve immediate, measurable ROI results.”
The Thor computer offers three unprecedented patent-pending features: a field-replaceable front panel, a quick-mount smart-dock and an ignition control.
Field-Replaceable Front Panel
With ordinary vehicle-mount computers, any significant damage to front panels would require end users to return the entire computer to the manufacturer for front-panel replacement, or to purchase an entirely new unit. Now, with the introduction of the Thor computer, users are offered more flexibility, as well as time and cost savings through its innovative, field-replaceable front panel feature:
- Panel can be changed within minutes with a screwdriver
- Replacement front panel will maintain consistent IP 66 protection against water and dust
- Computer will automatically recognize any changes to keyboard configuration
Quick Mount Smart Dock
Thor computer end users will be able to rapidly detach the device from its vehicle-mount hardware, presenting numerous advantageous features:
- The Thor computer can be removed from vehicle-mount with one hand
- Unit will remain powered-up for up to 30 minutes via battery backup
- Enterprises can deploy quick-mounting hardware on all forklifts and deploy the portable computers only on forklifts currently in use
- IT departments are able to quickly detach the Thor computer for software updates
- Thor computers are easily transferred between forklifts for maintenance as required
The Thor vehicle-mount computer’s ignition control function can save valuable minutes during startup when an operator is required to leave the forklift, adding up to significant labor cost savings:
- Unit starts up with the forklift ignition, saving the operator an extra step
- Preferences may be set to sleep, shut down, or stay powered up on battery backup when the forklift powers down
LXE is an exhibitor at ProMat 2011 and will demonstrate the Thor vehicle-mount computer at booth #4268. The device will make its European debut at SITL Paris on March 29, 2011. The Thor product is currently deployed at beta test sites throughout North America and Europe, and select configurations are set to begin shipping to customers on April 15, 2011.
For more informationc visit www.LXE.com