Winners of the ID People Awards 2008 AnnouncedWednesday, November 26, 2008
MILAN — The winners of this year’s ID People Awards – the Oscars of the Auto ID industry – were revealed on November 18th during the seventh ID WORLD International Congress, held in Milan. At the annual ceremony, awards were presented in recognition of the contribution made by thought leaders, innovators and pioneering adopters who distinguished themselves by their achievements during the past year.
The Big Five
Five awards were handed out following nomination and voting by the members of the ID Community, who have supported the initiative with enthusiasm during the last few months. More than 4500 valid votes were collected in the three-week election phase. The categories and winners are:
- ID Community Award: Abdullah A. Ferdous, Senior Consultant, Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission of the Government of Bangladesh, for his dedication to bringing up the sometimes overlooked viewpoint of developing countries when talking about immigration. This year’s ID Community Award was presented by Dr. Detlef Houdeau, Senior Director of Business Development in the market segment identification at Infineon Technologies and winner of the 2007 ID Community Award.
- ID Leadership Award: Peter Collins, president of A2B Tracking Solutions, for the work that has led him to become one of the United State’s foremost experts in UID compliance. This year’s ID Leadership Award was presented by Sertac Ozinal, CEO of the BKM Interbank Card Center of Turkey and the winner of the Honorable Mention Global Security Forum in 2006.
- ID Limelight Award: Deniz Tuncalp, Mobile Signature Unit Manager at Turkcell, for creating the sustainable business model that helped Turkcell launch the world’s largest mobile electronic signature infrastructure.
- ID Trail Blazer Award: Professor Srini Devadas Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT, for leading the team of researchers that developed the Physical Unclonable Functions technology which makes silicon chips unclonable. This year’s ID Trail Blazer Award was presented by Antti Korhonen, President & CEO of Ekahau and the winner of last year’s Honorable Mention Asset Tracking Forum.
- ID Outstanding Achievement Award: Major General Shafiqul Islam, Military Secretary, Bangladesh Army, for co-managing the Bangladesh Voter Registration Project which prepared biometric-based voter lists for 80 million people in just 11 months. This year’s ID Outstanding Achievement Award was presented by Tom Miller, former President of Intermec and winner of the ID Leadership Award in 2004.
ID Hall of Fame
During the ceremony, tribute was paid to a person whose lifelong achievements gave an outstanding contribution to fostering the market penetration of advanced auto ID based solutions. The ID Hall of Fame Award was presented to Bo Gustafson, faculty member of the Department of Astronomy at the University of Florida, Director for the university’s Laboratory for Astrophysics and President of DataGrid. The ID Hall of Fame recognizes the lifetime achievements of outstanding individuals in the ID Community.
Three Honorable Mentions
Wise Media’s ID WORLD Events Team presented Honorable Mention awards to three distinguished leaders in the ID Community:
- Honorable Mention Electronic Passport Forum: Lieutenant General Dr. Vasyl Gritsak. For years he has played a significant role in Ukrainian politics, establishing the legal framework for biometric national ID and travel documents in his young country (independent since 1991). He has been the political leader that has set the foundations for the Ukrainian ePassport, manufactured in Ukraine by the largest security company in Eastern Europe.
- Honorable Mention Asset Tracking Forum: Dr. Gérald Santucci is Head of Unit “Networked Enterprise and RFID” Information Society and Media Directorate-General – European Commission. In his role at the European Commission, Gérald Santucci is untiring in his efforts to drive forward and foster a coherent European approach to RFID that ensures common standards, harmonized legislation and compatible guidelines
- Honorable Mention Transportation Security Forum: Kamel Boussadia is the iAirport Solution Manager in the Security Solutions and Services activities from Thales. He leads the group that has created the Thales Smart Corridor one of the most advanced integrated security solutions for fast, comprehensive and effective screening of people at check points within critical infrastructures.
A new award created in 2008 to give voice and visibility to the leaders spearheading adoption of auto ID based solutions for innovation in Italy in the public and private sector. This year’s QUID Award went to Vincent Santacroce, ICT Director of Postal Services Business Unit, Poste Italiane. In this role, he has launched the “electronic postman” project in which 18,000 mailmen have been equipped with state-of-the-art portable terminals and printers that enable the Italian postal service to provide a wide portfolio of advanced services to its customers.
About ID People Awards
The ID People Awards are assigned each year to outstanding members of the ID Revolution community who have distinguished themselves in terms of commitment, leadership, creativity and innovation. The ID People Awards, sponsored by the publication ID People, are awarded in the following categories: ID Community Award, ID Leadership Award, ID Limelight Award, ID Trail Blazer Award and ID Outstanding Achievement Award. For further information visit www.id-people.com
About ID WORLD International Congress
The ID WORLD International Congress, organized by Wise Media, is the annual world summit on automatic identification. It is the most comprehensive showcase of RFID, biometrics and smart card technologies, and is the only international forum that looks at the advanced auto ID industry as a whole, rather than focusing on a specific technology or vertical sector. In 2008 the event took place in Milan on November 18th to 20th. For further information visit www.idworldonline.com