Material Handling Network

Sign Up for Network's eNewsletter & Digital Edition

*  Your Email Address:  

subscribe

Product / Dealer / Manufacturer Search

Loading MHN Dealer Search
Browse Dealers by Category
eNet Classifieds Industry Chatter Material Handling Network Featured Products
View Printer Friendly

Rescue (res’ku) 772: Part I

Friday, January 1, 2010

To rescue: To shake-off, drive-away. Also to free or save from danger, confinement, etc., or deliverance from bondage. Also, means reclaiming as from power, deterioration, etc.

Anyway, you get the idea. So what is a 772? It is scrubber machine model. Manufactured by American-Lincoln. It has been around since the 1970’s, that I personally know. It may well have originated back in the 1960’s. It is a behemoth (beast) of a scrubber. From my understanding, it was developed either for the military bases or for Ford Motor Company factories. Why Ford, you say? Because underneath the solution tanks, underneath the massive recovery tank, underneath the squeegee deck and assembly the brush deck is, are you ready? A Ford Farm Tractor! Yes, indeed! So, let’s go and rescue one.

Through the years, American-Lincoln had used several different model Ford Tractors. The one we are discussing is a Model 4000 tractor. The tractor is complete but has not been used for at least 4 or 5 years, or so, I have been told. For the last year to 18 months it has been outside in the weather so the engine is one concern. Hydraulics is another one of my concerns but we will see.

First, to check the engine, I looked at the oil and it was “not good” it had a little water in it. So this is what I did:

#1 Remove all the belts from the pulleys, water pump, etc. I tried to turn the engine by hand and it would not turn.

#2 I removed the cylinder heads. When you do this, you will get the most terrible smell, like rotten eggs. From the top end, the engine looked good. Again, we tried to free-up the pistons to no avail.

#3 I now removed the bottom end (oil-pan). We removed the connecting rod bearing caps. Next with a block of wood and rubber mallet we began, once again, to loosen the piston holes just enough to clean them up. We wiped them with cloth and applied oil to the walls. We then checked the main bearings. Naturally we wiped them off and re-applied some good machine oil to them and re-installed them. We then reassembled everything using new, top and bottom gaskets sets. Once reassembled we could now turn the engine by hand with ease from the crank pulley.

#4 We then got the electric hooked up. The unit is LPG, so we got a LPG Tank hooked up as well. After 2 to 3 tries it started right up and scrubbed beautifully. This engine was fun to work on. It is only a three cylinder with huge pistons (4.2” bore). The stroke is 4.4”. The bore is 4.2”. It has a displacement of 192 cubic inches. The firing order is an easy 1 – 2 – 3.

This is only the beginning. Standby for part II. To be continued next month.

Thanks for reading. As always you can e-mail me at mikec98423@yahoo.com or
call at 800/346-2319.

Home  |  Subscribe Now  |  Industry News  |  Business Profiles  |  Product Previews  |  Featured Columns
Advertising  |  Media Planner  |  Current Digital Magazine  |  2014 Digital Directory  |  Contact Us

Privacy Policy  |  Site Map

Web Design and Web Development by the OIC Group

Copyright 2014 © Material Handling Network • 217 Loren Street, Washington, IL 61571
Tel: 309-699-4431 • Toll Free: 800-447-6901 • Fax: 309-698-0801
A WoodwardBizMedia Publication