Material Handling Network

July 2018 Issue

July 2018 Material Handling Directory

2018 Inserts


Social Media Links

View Printer Friendly

Rescue (res’ku) 772: Part 2

Monday, February 1, 2010

Remember, we are rescuing an American-Lincoln Model 772 Scrub-Mobile. It is worth saving. We got through the engine, really quite a simple fix. Read last month to see how it was done. So, let’s move on.

The clutch, of course, the problem is that it had no clutch. It was bad and needed replaced. This is a concern of mine because the clutch is located in the center of the tractor. The tractor has to be taken apart in the center or split in two. This, I am sure can be a challenge, especially since I had never done this before.

If one were to sit on this machine, the bolts are just below your knees. They are in circumference around the housing flange starting on top going under and back on top. These have to be removed to split the tractor in half.

However, before any of this is to be done, we are going to now remove the massive solution tanks (100 gallons each) and the recovery tank (210 gallons) in the rear of the scrubber. You will learn later why we are doing this. It took two of us to remove the three tanks. We achieved this in approximately five hours with the help of a forklift. So now the tanks are all removed and set aside.

We then began to split the tractor in half. I have never attempted to do this, but had a probable idea and here is what we did. Under the rear axle, we stacked shipping wood skids about 4 to 5 high or until they almost touched the axle. Next we took a forklift from the rear of the tractor and raised the skids ever so slowly until the bottom skid was off the surface about the height of 4 to 5 inches or enough to get one more skid under. Now we chained the rear half of the tractor, going around the axle and through the skids. The rear of the tractor is now secure on the skids and it is not going anywhere.

We now perform the same process (almost to a tee) to the front of the tractor. Both ends, the front and the rear of the tractor being completely secure, we can now begin to remove the bolts and split this baby in half.

First, the steering tie-rods need to be removed because they are in our way. After that was done it was not long before we had all the bolts removed. The bolts now removed we took an electric pallet truck, put it in the front of the tractor into the skids. We then reversed the truck and apart it came, just as pretty as can be! With both halves on skids we could move them around as desired very easily.

The idea worked great, actually better than we had hoped. However, it was just as I thought, the clutch cover needed rebuilt or replaced and the clutch discs as well. Yes, I said discs, plural (this tractor has two clutch discs).

We decided to order rebuilt. When it was time to install the clutch, one item I did forget was the alignment tool. So it was put off until one could be located.

After an extensive search, I found that Lisle Tools still makes a universal clutch alignment tool. When the alignment tool came in we went ahead an installed the new clutch cover and discs. This process took around 3 to 4 hours to install. Another hour or so to re-assemble the tractor. We adjusted as close as we could by the book. Both halves went back together as well as expected. Also, the clutch release arm had to adjust for “pedal free travel.” This was adjusted top 1-1/4” free travel. That part is done, WOW!

Standby for Part III. Next month will be the conclusion of Rescue 772.

Thanks for reading. As always you can e-mail me at or call at 800/346-2319.

Home  |  Subscribe Now  |  Industry News  |  Business Profiles  |  Product Previews  |  Featured Columns
Advertising  |  Media Planner  |  Current Digital Magazine  |  2014 Digital Directory  |  Contact Us

Privacy Policy  |  Site Map

Web Design and Web Development by the OIC Group

Copyright 2017 © Material Handling Network • 217 Loren Street, Washington, IL 61571
Tel: 309-699-4431 • Toll Free: 800-447-6901 • Fax: 309-698-0801
A WoodwardBizMedia Publication