Rescue 772: Part III — Out to PastureMonday, March 1, 2010
This is part III, the final episode of Rescue 772. If you have been following this topic, in part I have been working on the engine of an American Lincoln Model 772 Tractor Scrubber. This engine runs like a “wristwatch” as one person responded while they were listening to it run. In part II, we went through the clutch, pressure plate and discs (that have two of them) were replaced. The solution and recovery tanks were removed. Along with that, the scrub disk which holds the scrub brushes were removed. Also the rear squeegee assemblies were removed. .
So now we are at a turning point. The customer who contracted us to work on this is an individual not a company. This person bought this machine at an auction for approximately $500.00. Having said that don’t be surprised at what I am about to tell you. We are literally going to put this machine out to pasture. It will no longer be a scrubber but a farm tractor.
There are differences that need to be corrected to achieve this. One of the most important things is the rear PTO output shaft coming out of the axle. You definitely need this to run all of your three-point hitch equipment, such as a bush-hog as an example. Next is a list that also had to be done:
- When purchased the tractor had turf tires. This was fine inside of a factory, but it will not do on the side of a Kentucky hill. They tend to be steep. So, of course, tractor tires must be purchased. After talking to knowledgeable farmers who have the experience it was decided that used antifreeze would be installed in the tires. This would require around 40 gallons per tire. That I figured would add around 500 pounds per tire. That would help hold down. Note that one fellow advised me to use Calcium water in the rear tires instead of antifreeze. Most people advised me not to. The main reason they were against it was that if the inner tube were to leak, the calcium would eat the rim. This cold happen over time and you may not be aware of it until it was too late.
- We had to find a “Roll Over Protective Structure” (ROPS) new or used. This is what Ford calls them. I just call it a roll bar. Believe me, I am not making this stuff up. We did find a good used one.
- The same tractor junkyard where we found the roll bar, I also found a different top of the transmission valve. This is located above the three-point hitch directly behind the seat.
- Items such as rear tire fenders have to be found. I found a nice set of large square fenders to install. With this type of fender I can now install rear lights. Also I will install ammo boxes on the inside of the fenders. I can use those boxes for holding tools and such.
- When it was purchased originally, it was set up with LPG. This is one reason the engine was so clean on the inside. After discussion, we are leaving it LPG. It has an Impco system so we just threw kits into the converter and regulator. We decided as well to install an engine heater. This tractor won’t be used in the winter, so also why we decided to leave it LP. Later on, if a problem does exist, we can always change it to “dual fuel.”
- Army Grey is an ugly color. We have to paint this thing. A pretty Ford blue and maybe some new decals. Yes, this did the trick. The fenders were painted a Light Ford Grey. Just as the factory farm tractor.
In closing, all I can say is that this was an interesting job. The total tally was about $3,000.00. I know that this tractor could sell for $6,000.00 to $7,500.00 without a problem in the present condition.
I hope you enjoyed reading Rescue 772 Out to Pasture! Thanks for reading every month.
If you have any questions or comments please contact me at my new e-mail address at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 1-800-346-2319.