Nominate Exceptional Innovators, Business Leaders And VolunteersFriday, May 22, 2009
DEARBORN, MI — The Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), the world’s leading professional society serving the manufacturing industry, is issuing its annual call for nominations for the International Honor Awards, the Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award and the Award of Merit.
Among SME’s most prestigious recognitions are the International Honor Awards. Over the course of 50 years, these awards have recognized academics and leading business people who have made noteworthy contributions and achievements in their fields. The seven distinct awards are:
- The Eli Whitney Productivity Award recognizes distinguished accomplishments in improving capability within the broad concept of orderly production.
- The Joseph A. Siegel Service Award recognizes an SME member for significant and unique contributions that benefit the Society. This award is the only International Honor Award that must only be conferred upon SME members.
- The SME Gold Medal recognizes outstanding service to the manufacturing engineering profession in technical communications through published literature, technical writings and lectures.
- The SME Frederick W. Taylor Research Medal honors significant published research leading to a better understanding of materials, facilities, principles, operations and their application to improve manufacturing processes.
- The Donald C. Burnham Manufacturing Management Award honors exceptional success in the integration of the infrastructure and processes of manufacturing through innovative use of human, technical and financial resources.
- The SME Albert M. Sargent Progress Award recognizes significant accomplishments in the field of manufacturing processes, methods or systems.
- The SME Education Award honors the educator most respected for the development of manufacturing-related curricula, fostering sound training methods or inspiring students to enter the profession of manufacturing.
View all Industry News
While the International Honor Awards recognizes those at the zenith of their engineering careers, the Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award honors young engineers age 35 and under for exceptional accomplishments such as technical publication, patents or technical professional society leadership.
SME’s Award of Merit also has a long history. For more than half a century, the Award of Merit has recognized SME members who have made valued and balanced contributions to the Society’s professional activities and growth. The deadline for all nominations is August 1, 2009.
Nomination forms can be downloaded from each individual award’s landing page (Honor Awards, Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award and Award of Merit) or at sme.org/awards. Forms can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, by faxing to 313/425-3406 or mailed to SME Headquarters at:
SME International Awards & Recognition Committee
c/o Executive Offices
Society of Manufacturing Engineers
One SME Drive, P.O. Box 930
Dearborn, Mich. 48121-0930 USA
Nominations must also include two letters of recommendation, one of which can be provided by the nominator.