American Society of Safety Engineers Gear up for Annual ElectionTuesday, February 17, 2009
DES PLAINES, IL — Voting is set to begin March 1 for the annual American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) Board of Directors election. Warren K. Brown, CSP, ARM, CSHM, of Fairborn, OH, currently serves as ASSE president. Brown holds a B.S. in Industrial Technology from Ohio University and an MBA from the University of Dayton. Brown has served on ASSE committees and as the vice president for the council on professional development. He also served as Region VII vice president for two terms and is the recipient of the Culbertson Outstanding Volunteer Service and the Region VII Safety Professional of the Year (SPY) awards. In 1988 Brown was named a General Motors Safety Fellow, the highest General Motors individual safety award.
C. Christopher Patton, CSP, of Missouri, current president-elect, and Darryl Hill, CSP, current senior vice president, of Michigan, will succeed to the offices of president and president-elect, respectively July 1, 2009. Patton is principal safety, health and environmental (SH&E) engineer at Covidien and Hill is vice president of safety and health for ABB North America.
Seventeen ASSE members are running for several top positions this year, offices that help shape the Society. Voting ends March 31 and election results will be announced April 15 with the winners taking office July 1, 2009.
The ASSE nominations and elections committee chaired by former ASSE President Michael W. Thompson, CSP, announced recently the following candidates for the open ASSE Board of Director positions:
- Senior Vice President -- Terrie S. Norris, CSP, ARM, CSPI, risk control manager – Bickmore Risk Services, Long Beach, CA, and current ASSE region I vice president, and, Richard A. Pollock, CSP, president CLMI, Minneapolis, MN, and current ASSE vice president for professional development;
- Vice President of Professional Affairs (council) – Jeffery C. Camplin, CSP, CPEA, Camplin Environmental Services, Rosemont, IL, and past environmental practice specialty administrator, and, Thomas F. Cecich, CSP, CIH, president TFC & Associates, Apex, NC;
- Vice President of Professional Development (council)– Patricia M. Ennis, CSP, ARM, director of workplace safety at the Denver Zoological Foundation, Denver, CO, and former ASSE region II vice president, and, John P. Spath, CSP, assistant director of casualty risk control for Aon Global Risk Consulting, New York, NY, current member of the ASSE public relations committee;
- Region I Vice President (includes AK, CA, OR, HI, WA & Western Australia) – Martin P. Jeppeson, CSP, ARM, director of regulatory affairs for California Ammonia Company (CALAMCO), Stockton, CA; and, Lynn J. Seville, CSP, vice president risk management at Parker, Smith & Feek, Inc., Anchorage, AK, and currently ASSE region I assistant vice president for finance.
The following ASSE members are running unopposed for Region Vice Presidents:
- Region III (AR, OK, TX & Ecuador) – Gregory L. Smith, CSP, president, Construction Safety & Health, Inc., Austin, TX, currently Region III vice president;
- Region V (IL, IA, MO, MN, NB, WI & Egypt) – Maribeth A. Anderson, corporate safety manager – operations, Sears Holdings Corporation, Chicago, IL, and former Chicago chapter president;
- Region VII (IN, KY, MI, OH, TN, WVA & Nigeria) – Stephanie A. Helgerman, CSP, senior safety representative, BGB, Columbus, OH, and current region VII vice president.
Area director candidates are:
- Region II, area B (AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT): Michael F. Lorenzo, CSP, safety consultant/construction specialist, Pinnacol Assurance, Denver, CO; and, Edwin L. “Brownie” Petersen, MA, CSHM, senior safety engineers, ATK Launch Systems, Willard, UT.
- Running unopposed are: for Region IV (AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands) Louisiana area director is Brett T. Beoubay, CSP, state loss prevention manager, state of Louisiana, Baton rouge, LA; for Region IV S. Florida area director is Tracy O. Linhart, director of safety and security for Premier Beverage Company, LLC, Miramar, FL; for the Region VIII (CT, MN, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA) Keystone area director is Kenneth T. Walker, CSP, president, Endless Mountains Safety Consulting, Inc., Tunkhannock, PA; and, for Region VIII Metropolitan area director is Nazer Ali, CHMM, CPEA, senior risk engineering consultant for New York & Eastern Mid-Atlantic Regions for Zurich Services Corporation, New York, NY.
The candidates’ biographies and platform statements are available at www.asse.org/elections/ as well as an overview of the ASSE elected offices. Mail or electronic ballots, depending on member preference as of February 1, will be sent to members after March 1. Voting in the election is a benefit of membership. ASSE Members can request an electronic ballot for future elections at email@example.com.
The ASSE president and senior vice president hold office for one year while the council vice presidents hold office for two years. The regional vice presidents hold offices for two years, but stagger the year – odd and even—when elections are held. Area directors hold office for two years.
Founded in 1911, the Des Plaines, IL-based ASSE is the largest and oldest professional safety organization and is committed to protecting people, property and the environment. Its more than 32,000 occupational safety, health and environmental professional members lead, manage, supervise, research and consult on safety, health, transportation and environmental issues in all industries, government, labor, health care and education. For more information please go to www.asse.orgView all Industry News